Pool Kool Deck
Want an affordable, attractive pool deck that doesn’t scorch your feet? Kool Deck installation may be for you. Kool Deck is a trademarked brand that has covered millions of pool decks since the 1960s. If your concrete pool deck has seen better days or you’re installing a brand-new concrete pool deck, Kool Deck gives you a cool, beautiful surface.
Kool Deck is one of the most affordable ways to achieve a cool, non-slip pool deck, but make sure you choose experienced professionals. Kool Deck installation requires specific training & equipment for proper bonding. Our Phoenix Kool Deck contractors have years of experience installing and repairing this popular concrete topper.
Need To Have Your Pool Deck Repaired?
Get A Free Instant Quote
Kool Deck Installation
Ideally, Kool Deck is applied to fresh concrete. Proper Kool Deck installation must be done by trained professionals for a long-lasting, bonded finish. Our Kool Deck contractors have plenty of experience installing Kool Deck in Phoenix with a focus on surface prep and protecting your property.
The key to long-lasting Kool Decking for pools is proper concrete preparation. Kool Deck uses a PTA bonding agent to bond to existing concrete. This agent only adheres to solid concrete surfaces. Oil, grime, paint, deteriorating concrete, grease, stains, and loose toppings will cause the bonding agent to fail.
If you have an existing concrete pool deck, a different installation method must be used. Before Kool Deck paint can be applied, all foreign materials must be removed from the concrete. This includes any
coatings or toppings.
coatings or toppings.
The pool deck must be etched with muriatic acid and pressure washed. Next, a PTA bonding agent must be applied. During this time, any necessary concrete repairs will be made. This allows the Kool Deck material to bond properly.Keystone Kool Deck will be applied to your prepared concrete and troweled. Our contractors will cover the entire surface with plastic for 2 days. Once the site is cleared up, your new pool deck is ready for use.
Kool Deck Repair
Is your existing Kool Deck showing signs of wear? A damaged Kool Deck topping can be repaired with patching. Before beginning repairs, it’s important to know if you actually have a Kool Deck or another product. Every concrete coating is made with different ingredients that affect bonding and how repairs should be done.
We will test the surface of your pool deck to confirm you have Kool Deck and not an imitator or acrylic.
While Kool Deck withstands normal contraction and expansion, it can still develop cracks. Mortex produces patch kits for Kool Deck to restore a seamless surface.
Before repairs can be done, the surface must be cleaned and prepped. The area will also need to be soaked with water for proper bonding. A solution of muriatic acid is applied to the damage and scrubbed thoroughly.
The surface must be kept wet while a PTA bonder is applied. After the bonder has been applied, a Kool Deck patch can be used.
Kool Deck cement mix is blended and applied over the surface while the bonder is still wet. High peaks will be created over the cracks and flattened with a trowel. Our contractors will be sure to remove any oversplash or cement residue that can stain surrounding areas. The patch will need to be covered with plastic for 2 days to cure. Afterward, the patched area can be cleaned and used like normal.
Pros of Kool Deck
Kool Deck offers many advantages over acrylic and other pool deck coverings. When it’s applied to freshly poured concrete, Kool Deck will create a surface as strong as the base. It also looks great for years and keeps your feet cool.
Here are some important benefits of Kool Deck:
- It is as strong as the base concrete when applied to new concrete.
- It can be applied to existing concrete with surface prep.
- Kool Deck paint is not hurt by pool chemicals.
- It can withstand contraction & expansion better than concrete alone.
- It’s environmentally friendly with natural substances and iron oxide pigment.
- It’s very affordable. A Kool Deck topping is less expensive than almost all other pool coatings.
- It creates a textured, colored concrete surface.
- It lowers the surface temperature of your concrete by 20 degrees. This is greater than any other pool deck coating.
- A Kool Deck coating is easy to clean. Simply rinse with water or scrub with soap when needed.
- Kool Deck comes in a many colors. These nature-inspired colors include Adobe Buff, Sedona Tan, Coral Peach, Terra Cotta, & Aqua. All of these colors match well with Southwest-style architecture in Phoenix.
Cons of Kool Deck
Despite the benefits, there are some downsides to Kool Deck. Depending on your budget and needs,Kool Deck may not be the best choice.
Consider the following drawbacks.
- To bond properly, Kool Deck must be applied to freshly poured concrete. This must be done before the concrete cures. It can still be applied to existing concrete, but it requires preparation. All existing toppings must be removed. The concrete must be acid etched and pressure-washed. A bonding agent must also be applied before the Kool Deck material.
- Kool Deck is harder to install properly than acrylic deck coatings. It must be applied by someone with the right training and experience.
- Always make sure your installer is trained in applying Kool Deck specifically. Many pool deck contractors advertise Kool Deck installation but use a knockoff or the wrong installation method.
- Kool Deck will fade in the intense Phoenix sun. If you need to patch it later, it can be hard to match the color.
Have questions about Kool Deck? Here are common questions our Phoenix Kool Deck contractors receive from customers.